- Real County was founded on April 3, 1913, and is named after Julius Real (1860 – 1944), a former member of the Texas State Senate. It was established from parts of Bandera, Edwards, and Kerr counties.
- “Real” is pronounced as REE-al.
- This county has no slogan yet.
- The county covers an area of 700 sq. mi. (2,000 km2).
- The City of Leakey serves as the county seat.
- Camp Wood is the largest city in this county.
- The Hill Country Post and Mission Transition Foundation operate from here.
- Another non-profit organization that operates from here is Any Baby Can of San Antonio, an agency focused on providing direction for families of children and youth with special needs.
- Bandera County (East)
- Edwards County (West)
- Kerr County (Northeast)
- Uvalde County (South)
- Big Springs Ranch
- Mission Nuestra Senora De La Candelaria Del Canon
- Rio Frio Landmark Oak Tree
- The “Quince” Swimming Hole
- Wildlife Art Museum & Real County Historical Museum